The Best Cardio Exercises You Can Do in Your Living Room
- Jump your legs out as you bring your hands overhead, then jump back to standing.
- Add in some cross jacks to work your inner thighs. Open your arms out to the sides as you jump your legs wide. Cross your feet as you jump your legs together while crossing your arms in front of your chest.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, and extend your arms straight out to either side with palms facing down.
- Jump and cross your right arm over your left and your right foot over your left. Jump your legs to the sides and open your arms, then cross with the opposite arm and foot.
- Keeping your weight on the balls of your feet, scissor your legs front and back.
- This is quick footwork, and it should be light and fast. Pump your arms to keep the speed of the feet up in tempo.
- Run in place while lifting your knees high to the level of your waist. Engage your abs as the knee comes up.
- Pump your arms to warm up your upper body.
- Bouncing off the balls of your feet, jump your feet wide.
- Hop back to center on your left foot, then jump your feet wide.
- Hop back to center on your right foot, and continue alternating in this pattern.
Skipping isn't just for little kids! it's a great warmup exercise, especially if you will be jumping in your workout.
- Skip in place by hopping on your right leg while bringing the left knee up toward your chest. Engage your abs as the knee comes toward your chest.
- Switch legs, and keep skipping while pumping your arms.
- Skip for 30 seconds.
Knees and Toes
- Start with two high knees, bringing your right knee to your left hand, then your left knee to your right hand.
- Now rotate your right knee slightly outward to bring your right ankle to your left hand, then your left ankle to your right hand.
- Continue in this alternating pattern.
Box Toe Touches
- Using a box, step, book, or stool, lightly tap your left toes to the box, then jump to switch feet, bringing the right toes up.
- Continue alternating feet. No box? No worries. Hop from foot to foot, aiming toes onto an imaginary step.
Lateral Bunny Hop
- Make small jumps side to side as if you are jumping over an invisible line.
- Keep your legs as close together as possible, and swing your arms to help you jump.
Side Shuffle With High-Knee Hold
- Take small, quick steps to the side. Try to get in as many steps as possible in the width of your mat.
- When you reach the edge of your mat, pause, bringing your inside knee up to waist level. This small pause works your abs and challenges your balance.
- Start in a shallow squat with your weight on your right foot, and leap sideways as far as you can go to the left, landing on your left foot and bringing the right foot to the left. Immediately reverse directions and jump to the right.
- Continue jumping side to side.
- Start in a small squat. Jump sideways to the right, landing on your right leg. Bring your left leg behind you, but don't let your left foot touch the floor. Keeping your chest up, deepen the bend your in your right knee to work your glute muscles even more.
- Reverse direction by jumping to the left leading with your left leg, allowing your arms to swing to the sides as you jump sideways, landing on your right foot. This completes one rep.
Alternating Lateral Lunge
- Start with your feet directly under your hips. Step your right foot wide to the side, coming into a lunge with your left fingers touching your right foot. Your right knee shouldn't go beyond your right toes.
- Push into your right foot to return to standing, then lunge sideways to the left to complete one rep.
Reverse Lunge and Kick
This is a great move for warming up the entire body. It's a dynamic stretch for both the hip flexors and the hamstrings.
- Step back with your left foot, coming into a deep lunge and bending both knees to 90 degrees.
- Press the right heel into the ground as you push off with your left foot, kicking your left leg to touch your left toes to your right hand.With control, return to the lunge position. This completes one rep.
- Do 15 reps on each leg.
Reverse Lunge and Hop
- Come into a lunge with your right leg back. Swing your right leg forward to hop up on your left foot, and land softly back in a lunge.
Split Lunge Jumps
Great for shaping the legs and butt, jumping lunges can sometimes be intense on the knees. Hopping your feet together before switching sides decreases the impact on the knees.
- Stand with your feet together and your knees soft. Jump and come into a lunge with your left leg forward.Push off with both feet, jumping them together, then hopping into a lunge with your right leg in front.
- Jump your feet back together to complete one rep.
- Do 15 reps to complete a set.